If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional meat burgers, then you’re in for a treat! This Sweet Potato Burger recipe is packed with flavor, nutrients, and is perfect for vegetarians and veggie enthusiasts alike. Made with wholesome ingredients such as sweet potatoes, red kidney beans, and a medley of spices, these burgers are not only mouth watering but also satisfying. Whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue, searching for a quick weeknight dinner, or simply craving a scrumptious burger, this recipe is a must-try. Let’s dive into the details of creating this delectable Sweet Potato Burger!
To make the Sweet Potato Burger patties, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 pound (500g) sweet potatoes (about 2 large potatoes)
- 1 can (400g) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 spring onions
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup (70g) quick oats
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (1g) cumin
- 1/2 tsp (1g) coriander
- 1 ½ tsp (5g) smoked paprika
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil (for cooking the patties)
For the Avocado Yogurt Sauce, you’ll need:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup (60g) plain yogurt
- 1 tsp (5g) lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
For assembling the burger, you will require:
- 4-6 cheese slices
- Burger buns
- Tomato slices
- Fresh lettuce
- Red onion rings
- BBQ sauce (optional)
Preparing the Sweet Potato Burger Patties
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut the sweet potatoes into about 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with cumin and olive oil.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender. Set them aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mash half of the red kidney beans using a masher or fork.
- Add the cooked sweet potatoes to the bowl and mash them together with the beans.
- Add the remaining red kidney beans, red pepper, chopped onion, minced garlic, quick oats, salt, black pepper, cumin, coriander, and smoked paprika. Stir everything together to combine.
- Divide the mixture into 4 portions and form them into burger patties. If you have smaller burger buns, you can divide the mixture to form more patties.
- Refrigerate the patties for 20-30 minutes to help them firm up.
- Preparing the Avocado Yogurt Sauce
- Mash the ripe avocado with a fork in a bowl.
- Add lemon juice, minced garlic, and plain yogurt to the mashed avocado.
- Mix everything together until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Set the avocado yogurt sauce aside until ready to use.
- Cooking and Assembling the Sweet Potato Burgers
- In a large skillet, heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook the sweet potato burger patties for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Alternatively, you can bake the patties in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 30-35 minutes.
- While the patties are cooking, toast the burger bun halves in the same skillet.
- Two minutes before the patties are finished cooking, place cheese slices on top of each patty to melt.
- To assemble the burgers, spread the avocado yogurt sauce over the burger bun halves.
- Top with fresh lettuce, the cooked sweet potato burger patty with melted cheese, tomato slices, and red onion rings.
- If desired, add a drizzle of BBQ sauce for extra flavor.
- Finally, place the other half of the burger bun on top and secure the burger with a skewer.
Kitchen Equipment Needed
To make the Sweet Potato Burgers, you will need the following kitchen equipment:
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Fork or masher
- Large bowl
Recipe Variations and Tips
- Gluten-Free Option: Replace the regular burger buns with gluten-free burger buns or lettuce wraps for a gluten-free version of the Sweet Potato Burger.
- Spicy Twist: If you enjoy spicy flavors, add some chopped jalapeños or a dash of hot sauce to the burger mixture.
- Crispy Coating: For an extra crispy exterior, you can lightly coat the burger patties with breadcrumbs or panko before cooking.
- Leftover Storage: Store any leftover cooked patties in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat them in a skillet or oven before enjoying.
Q: Can I freeze the Sweet Potato Burger patties?
A: Yes, you can freeze the uncooked patties. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze until firm. Once frozen, transfer the patties to a freezer-safe bag or container. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw the patties before cooking according to the recipe instructions.
Q: What can I use as a substitute for red kidney beans?
A: If you don’t have red kidney beans on hand or prefer a different variety, you can substitute them with black beans or chickpeas in this recipe.
Q: Are these burgers suitable for vegans?
A: The Sweet Potato Burger patties themselves are vegan since they don’t contain any animal products. However, if you choose to add cheese or yogurt to the recipe, it won’t be suitable for a vegan diet. To make the recipe fully vegan, omit the cheese and use dairy-free yogurt or a vegan alternative for the avocado sauce.
Food and Drink Pairings
Pair your Sweet Potato Burgers with a side of crispy sweet potato fries for a delightful combination. If you’re in the mood for a refreshing beverage, try serving the burgers with a tall glass of iced lemonade or a fruity iced tea.
Indulge in the deliciousness of Sweet Potato Burgers that are both healthy and packed with flavor. With a perfect balance of sweet and savory, these veggie patties are sure to impress even the most dedicated meat lovers. Experiment with toppings, sauces, and buns to make this recipe your own. Don’t forget to share this delightful recipe with your friends and family and subscribe to our blog for more mouthwatering recipes and culinary inspiration. Enjoy your Sweet Potato Burgers and happy cooking!